Monday, March 4, 2013

March 4, 2013

Family,

This week was really fast. It's weird to think that I am in the middle of my second transfer in Ukraine. I feel like the language hasn't been progressing really fast, but all the Ukrainians and Elder Dorius think that it is, so maybe I just can't tell. I did hear a little bit about the meteor in Russia, but I forgot to ask about it. It was pretty huge, wasn't it? I also heard this week that the pope resigned and that lightning struck the Vatican like three times or something. I don't know if that's true or not. Oh, and I did get your letters up to the first week of February I think. I don't know how long it took to get here, because we only get mail when someone goes to Keiv, so it could have been sitting there for a while. I also got a letter from Haley and someone can tell her that I will write her back eventually. I haven't even had time to finish a letter to you guys or send Birthday cards yet. P days go by really fast as does the rest of the week. Thanks for all the recipes; we have really been enjoying the waffles and we got the stuff for chili this week, which is exciting. I found out that I won't be able to make applesauce pancakes because they don't have applesauce here, which was a little depressing. I may try to experiment and make it myself if I have time, which I probably won't. Could I get the recipes for cinnamon rolls and regular rolls in future letters? Between me and my companion we can only make so many things and I want to add as much variety as possible. Oh, and could someone send me the order to some of those cds that Kelleene put on my mp3 player like the Garden and the Lamb of God? I'd like to try to listen to them from the beginning sometime and right now they are alphabetical.

So this week I went on an exchange with the district leader on a trip to leadership conference in Kyiv! It was really awesome, because we went contacting to different really cool places in the city. I have pictures, but I forgot my camera, so I will send them next week. I went to the spot where President Packer dedicated the country for missionary work and it was really cool. The Spirit is really strong there. I also went to a soviet war museum with tons of tanks, airplanes and helicopters. I didn't get to go to the Temple though, because it was kind of a last minute trip. Oh, and I saw another dead body too, and this one wasn't at a funeral. It was kind of weird, because the police here are terrible. There was this dead body up against a corner and there were just a couple of cops, one of which was taking pictures with what looked like his own camera. Most of the police here are all young guys who don't know what they are doing anyway, which makes me glad that I don't have to just rely on them for safety. I'm not quite sure how the guy died, but I didn't see any blood, so it may have been natural causes.

The Psych marathon sounded really fun. I don't think you should let Braeden and Dallin stay up, though. If everyone is able to stay up at night when I get back it'll be weird, so they should just go to bed early until I am gone for good. I'm glad that Kelleene is doing well. Do you have any idea how long she is going to be getting treatments?

I wish I had more to report with the work, but right now we aren't having too much success. A lot of contacting and work with members. We have a couple of investigators who are progressing but neither one wants to set a baptismal date yet. We had a really cool experience with one of them this week though. We asked him to say the closing prayer, during which he asked if the church was true. Afterwards he said he felt like a wave of warmth rushed over him. We are trying to help him realize that this was his answer, but something is keeping him from really commiting to baptism. I'm not sure what, because he is really awesome and accepts everything we teach him, which is not as common here as it is in some other places (Brazil). Anyway, hopefully the Spirit will be able to get him to do what is right and be baptized soon. 

Well I love all of you and hope that spring comes soon. Oh, and I am sending you a picture of some borsh that I ate at an old babycia's house. I just want to clarify that this not what all borsh looks like and it was actually pretty good. I ate it all. I just had to be carefull to not swallow any small bones.

Elder Jolstead the Younger

No comments:

Post a Comment